Hatch Chile White Sauce Enchiladas (Vegan, Gluten Free)


Hello again, my long-lost friends! I know that my absence from the blogosphere had you all worried I’d fallen into a ditch or gotten trapped under something heavy, but the reality is that life has just been particularly full these last few months. I tripled my work load as a clinical nursing instructor as part of a big push to save for our bathroom remodel. Yet somehow, my family still expects to be fed!! Shouldn’t 2-year-olds know how to forage for themselves? Baby animals can do it, and some of them are super dumb! Sheesh. Working so many hours hasn’t left much time for creative pursuits, so all of my creative energy (which is like three drops) has been poured into cooking for my cuties. I’ve written up quite a few recipes but keep neglecting to snag a picture, and I know how important that click-bait is. I finally remembered to take a picture of our dinner last night AND write down the recipe for this beauty- spicy, tasty, nutritious, and so versatile! I used Siete brand cassava flour tortillas to keep things gluten-free, but feel free to swap in whatever you have on hand. Don’t believe in beans? Throw in some fajita-style veggies and your favorite protein. Need to dial back the heat for the kiddos? Use regular canned green chiles instead of Hatch. The possibilities are endless!



1 cup raw, unsalted cashews
1 ½ cups boiling water
2 tsp lemon juice
pinch salt
1 raw garlic clove
2 small cans diced Hatch green chiles (4 oz. each) or regular green chiles
8 medium tortillas
4 cups refried beans
4 cups black beans
½ cup sliced olives
½ cup shredded Daiya cheddar or dairy cheddar (optional)
Guacamole, sour cream, salsa (optional)



1) Preheat your oven to 350o. Spray a 13 x 9 pan with non-stick spray.
2) Prepare the sauce: Put the cashews in a blender and pour the boiling water over the top. Let sit ten minutes. Add the lemon juice, salt, and garlic; blend until creamy. STIR in, but don’t blend, the green chiles. Ladle about ½ cup of the sauce into the bottom of your enchilada pan. Take one tortilla, fill with ½ cup refried beans and ½ cup black beans; roll and place in your prepared pan. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
3) Pour remaining sauce over the top and spread evenly. Sprinkle the olives and cheese (if using) over the top. Cover with foil and place in the oven. Cook time will depend on how warm your ingredients are. For warmed beans, bake about 30 minutes. For cold beans, 45-50.
4) Top with condiments and enjoy!

Comments

  1. Can't wait to try this recipe! I have a nice amount of hatch chilies frozen and needed a new recipe to use them. Kinara to the rescue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know your thoughts after you try it! I'm always curious if the recipes translate to other people's kitchens!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts