Indian-Spiced Guacamole

It has been far too long since I posted new recipes here, and I’m happy to report that it’s because wonderful things have been transpiring! One exciting piece of news is that I’ve been collaborating with City of Gresham on their upcoming Rockwood cookbook project, which will feature some beauty shots of Birch. Don’t worry, my fabulous lifestyle hasn’t kept me from producing some truly transcendent recipes to share with y’all.

I recently had some guests over for a vegan Indian-inspired meal with red curry lentil dal, chole palak (creamed spinach with chickpeas), basmati rice, and homemade naan bread. At the last minute I realized I hadn’t prepared an appetizer. Hostess emergency! Frantic search through the cupboards…nothing remotely Indian there…hmmm, three avocados, those could be something…and this Indian-spiced guacamole was born. It’s certainly not traditional, but who cares about tradition when you’ve got this SUPER-DELICIOUS FLAVOR BOMB?!?! So good with pita chips or as a creamy contrast to your spicy Indian dishes. It’s full of healthy fats and antioxidant-rich spices. My guests loved it and yours will too!

Indian-Spiced Guacamole
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp brown mustard seeds*
2 tsp yellow mustard seeds*
2 tsp cumin seeds
3 medium or 2 large ripe avocados
Juice of ½ lime
2 tsp curry powder (I used Sharwood’s hot curry powder)
1 clove garlic, minced or crushed
pinch salt
1 Tbsp sour cream (optional)

1) In a small skillet, add the olive oil, mustard seeds, and cumin seeds. Heat on medium, stirring occasionally, until mustard seeds begin to pop. Remove from heat.
2) While seeds toast, mash the ripe avocado, leaving it chunky. Stir in the lime, curry powder, garlic, salt, and sour cream if using.
3) Roughly smooth out the surface of your guac and pour the olive oil/seed mixture on top.


*If you don’t have both brown and yellow mustard seeds, you can double the amount of whichever one you have.

Comments

Popular Posts