Turmeric Pickled Onions


I think I’ve hit the jackpot here, y’all. These turmeric pickled onions are the total package: they’re bright, earthy, healthful, versatile, and oh-so-easy to make. They’re amazing on street tacos, rice and bean bowls, Indian lentil soup, falafel sandwiches, grilled chicken…the list goes on. I haven’t tried them on ice cream, but it wouldn’t be any crazier than some of Salt & Straw’s concoctions. ; )

Turmeric Pickled Onions
One medium or large white or yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced into rounds
1 ½ cups white vinegar
3 Tbsp sugar (I used coconut sugar, but white will work)
4 tsp salt
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp ground turmeric
6 cardamom pods, crushed
generous pinch of peppercorns

1. Pack the onion into a clean quart jar.
2. Combine the remaining ingredients in a small pot and bring to a boil. Stir until sugar and salt dissolve.
3. Carefully pour the hot vinegar mixture over the onions using a canning funnel*. Refrigerate. Onions will last for several months in the fridge. I had enough “juice” left over after my first batch that I was able to reheat it and pickle a second, smaller onion.

*If you don’t have a canning funnel, put your onions in a bowl, pour the boiled vinegar mixture over the onions, let cool, then pour everything into the quart jar.




Comments

Popular Posts